Roadkill Rescued Hutch

I got this hutch from a rental house where the tenants had been evicted and left a bunch of stuff behind.   This was heading to the trash can when I came along and snatched it up.



It was missing a knob and the top part of the hutch had chunks of wood missing.   Plus it was ugly!   Nothing screams “I want my MTV” like parquet.   Can we say 1982?!?!

In order to build up the sides where the wood was missing I used this product called Mix ‘N’ Fix.   It is a clay-like substance that when mixed together forms a hard bond.   Then I sanded it down.   It still looked like crap after all that.

So then a brilliant idea came to me.   Instead of fixing it why don’t I cover it up.   It was a “use-what-you-have-kinda-day” so what did I have?   Five gallon paint sticks from Lowe’s.


I cut it to size and sanded off the writing.




Then using some brad nails I attached it to the hutch. I added some wood filler to hide the nail holes. Then I just had a little sanding to do to even out the Mix ‘N’ Fix.   After painted, you wouldn’t even know there was a train wreck behind it.


I gave the whole piece a lighting sanding with 180 grit sandpaper. Then I taped it all up so I could spray it with my paint sprayer.   However my sprayer wasn’t working (Grrrrrr!) so I ended up hand painting the entire piece.   Not cool.

Can I just take a second to tell all of you “sunny, gorgeous weather year round people” how I envy you?   30 degrees and snowing in Indiana isn’t conducive to spray painting.   Ugh!



So I brushed on Rustoleum’s Canyon Black paint in a Satin Finish.   I had extra from another project and wanted to keep this project cost low.

The “parquetness” of the lower cabinets really bothered me. It totally dated this piece even after it was painted. So then I remembered Rhoda’s incredible beaded wallpaper adventures and Kate’s cream cabinet makeover and decided that beaded wallpaper would be perfect to cover the “parquetness” and modernize this piece.


I got some cheap beaded wallpaper from Menards that I would not recommend using on your walls.   But for this project it was good enough.   After soaking the wallpaper for 5 seconds I let it sit for 10 minutes.   It seemed like it resized itself, which drove me bananas. I applied it to the cabinet surface smoothing it in place and caulked the sides to hide the edge.   After about 8 hours of drying I painted it.


I was afraid the hutch would look like a big, black, blob in the game room so I decided to add a pop of color to the top glass doors.   I removed the glass panes and then I got some fabric from Joann Fabrics and ironed it and attached it to the door frame with my air stapler.



I sprayed the hinges with some of the Canyon Black spray paint and added some knobs that I had left over from another project and screwed them in place.